Types of Myanmar Visa and How to apply Online
Getting a Myanmar visa is easier than ever thanks to the advanced eVisa system put into place in late 2014. Now travelers can apply and pay online for tourist visas before they arrive. There are some types: tourist visa, business visa, social visa, meditation visa, transit visa and multiple journey entry visa.
1. Tourist Visa
This type of visa is for foreign tourists and tourism purpose only. Tourists visa allows tourists to enter Myanmar and stay for 28 days. The length of stay can be extended up to 2 weeks. Tourist visa is one of the only two e-visa types. The other type is Business visa.
2. Business Visa
This is for foreign businessmen and business purpose only. Business visa allows businessmen to enter Myanmar and stay for 70 days which can be extended. Business visa can be obtained on arrival or through Myanmar embassies.
3. Social Visa
Social visa is for ex-Myanmar citizen, a foreigner who married to Myanmar Citizen, children of a Myanmar Citizen and a Foreigner, or those who surrendered Myanmar Citizenship. This visa allows travelers to enter Myanmar and stay for 28 days which can be extended in Myanmar.
4. Meditation Visa
This type of visa is for both foreigners and ex-Myanmar who wish to attend a meditation course in Myanmar. Meditation Visa allows travelers to stay for 90 days. The visa is valid for entry into the country within three months from the date of issue.
5. Transit Visa
Transit visa is for travelers who will be in Myanmar to transit to another country. It allows travelers to enter the city and stay in Myanmar for 24 hours only.
6. Multiple Journey Entry Visa
This visa is for travelers who must have been applied for Business Entry Visa at least three times within one year.
How to Apply for a Myanmar Visa Online
▪ Go to the Myanmar eVisa homepage https://evisa.moip.gov.mm to begin an application.
▪ Your passport must not be ready to expire within the next 6 months.
▪ You will need one color photograph (4.8cmx3.8cm) taken within the past 3 months.
▪ You will need a credit card to pay the US$50 application fee.
▪ Allow 3 working days to process your application. Burmese holidays may affect turnaround.
▪ You must travel to Myanmar within 90 days of receiving your eVisa or start the application process again.
▪ You are permitted to remain in Myanmar for 28 days after the date of entry.
▪ You may not work while in Myanmar.
The visa application fee is non-refundable, so make sure that your information is entered correctly and that your photo meets the specifications!
After processing, you'll receive a visa approval letter that needs to be printed. You'll present the letter to an immigration officer upon arrival to receive a Myanmar visa sticker or stamp in your passport.
Although there are many permitted nationalities, not everyone gets to take advantage of the Myanmar eVisa system. Check https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/NoticetoTourists.aspx to see if your country is eligible.